Microsoft has announced Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14251 on January 27, 2016 on official blog. People around the are world trying upgrade to the latest build, to get new exiting featured and fixes by Microsoft. I was trying to upgrade to latest build but insider stopped working. Every-time when I tried Fix Me option it says “Your security settings need attention to get Insider Preview Builds” ans ask to Restart PC. Tried this few times but didn’t work for me. When I googled the issue I noticed that there are large number of people facing this issue not only me. Tried to sort out this issue by performing different steps (mentioned on Microsoft forum and other blogs) but didn’t work. Last one option which I tried myself worked and even fixed my issue.
In this tutorial I’m sharing all troubleshooting steps which are recommended by Microsoft. Hopefully these will fix your issue first, If didn’t work then you can try last step which will help you then. So let’s begin with following solutions.
Solution # 1
First make sure that your already have a genuine copy of Windows and is activated. Your are logged in to Windows with Microsoft not Local account. Check windows updates settings that you have access to Windows updates. You need to check and verify that Windows Update, Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service are running. If any services is disable you will face issue in in getting new builds. To check and enable these services, perform the following steps
- Press Windows Key + R.
- Type services.msc and press Enter. Windows Services will open.
- Right click on Windows Update select Properties.
- Check Startup type is set to manual (not disabled).
- Click Start under Services Status and press OK to save it.
- Make sure that Startup Type is enabled (not disabled) and Services Status is Start (Not stopped)
Now perform the same step for Background Intelligent Transfer Service & Cryptographic Service and make sure that they are running (not disabled).
After performing these steps confirm from services list that mentioned services are running, then restart your PC once and try to get updates/new builds. If still issue persists proceed to Solution # 2.
Solution # 2
Here is another solution. You need to perform these following steps to fix the issue.
- Open Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges (recommended).
- Copy and paste the following commands (all at one) in your Command Prompt and press Enter.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Now wait till all commands execute successfully. Once complete close the command prompt and restart you PC. After Restarting you PC try again to update. If still issue persists then proceed the next solution which also fixed my problem too.
Solution # 3
If above two solutions didn’t fix your problem then try this one. Hopefully this will fixed your issue for sure and the same solution also worked for me. Which is deleting your current Administrator account and creating new one.
- Login to your PC with Administrator Account.
- If you have data files or shortcuts on you current account desktop, copy them to a safe folder in D or E drive.
- Also copy your necessary files from Document and Download folder too, If necessary.
- Create a New Account (Administrator not Standard Account).
- Now Sign Out and login from new Administrator Account.
- Delete the Old Administrator Account.
- Go to Setting > Updates & Security > Advance Options.
- Under Get Insider Preview Builds log in with your Microsoft Account (Registered in Insider Program)
Once you successfully log in to Insider, you will see the message “You are all set to receive Insider Preview builds“. Now check for updates to get new builds. Remember that you will receive new builds after hours not immediately, as there may be some technical reason by Microsoft. Hope your issue will be fixed with these solutions and you will be happy. Spread this post with your social friends so that most of the people get solved their problem with new builds upgrade. Thank you